Thursday, May 28, 2009

Village Adventure #1 - The Locusts

Ok, so I'm going to do my best to recap each of the village outreach services, as they have all been special and unique in their own way.






The first night was probably the most awkward in many ways, as it was my first real ministry venture without the team under the fearless leadership of Doug (main contact for teams here). Doug flew back to England, and so I was venturing out on my own... Not quite on me own, though. Me and 8 Indians (7 ministry people plus driver) piled into one car and set out for the village. Only 2 of them spoke any English, but it was pretty minimal (humorous considering one of those two is my translator! haha) About 3 hours and many bumpy roads later, we arrived at the village. And if you know me at all, you know my bladder is pretty small, so I did what we did when the teams were here and asked if there was a "sister" who could take me to the bathroom. Next things I know, I'm wisked away to a hut where the WHOLE pastor's family came out (I guess to witness the white girl who needed a bathroom?) and the pastor's wife took me by the hand, put me in the car and we (me, the pastor's wife, a male staff member and driver) all set out on an "adventure" to find me a bathroom. We drove to some "houses" and were walking all through people's homes and property, all the time hand-in-hand with the pastor's wife, until we landed at an actual squatty (better than the side of the road, or a field, which was what I expected)). Then, wisked back to the car and back to the church, where I walk in and notice...


(look at the wall and floor - this was after a ton were swept out)

BUGS! Everywhere! I notice first because they start landing on me the second I walk in! And not little bugs - these were small grasshopper type bugs. I think they were locusts. And I think the plague in Egypt had come upon this church, as they were ALL OVER. Good thing I don't have a fear of bugs. (A few of you would have freaked!) Good thing also we have to wear head scarves. Never quite been so happy to have that hot fabirc covering my head as at that moment.










The service went really well though. Ministered are treated with such honor here in India. There are men who carry all my belonging for me. I am brought sodas everywhere I go (not my fav, but the gesture is sweet), and they typically present guest ministers with a flower garland to wear around their necks. It is made of fragrant fresh flowers, and is beautiful and heavy! This church thought that Doug would be there, so there were two garlands. Because of his absense, they gave me both. I felt like my little body was weighted down with flowers. Haha... It worked well though for my sermon illustration about taking Jesus' yoke rather then our heavy yokes, because his is easy and light (see Jonathan? I do listen when you talk about making things culturally relavent! :0) ).





At the conclusion of the service, probably 15-20 people resonded to the altar call for salvation. Hallelujah! And then I was able to pray for everyone individually (I just love this part!). I even held it together as I felt bugs crawling up my legs under my dress. Talk about practicing your poker face...


(these were the people who stood for the altar call)



And then, they always want to feed you after the service! :) This was probably when my awkwardness came out the most because I didn't have anyone's lead to follow. And since I am the "honored guest", I am served first and expected to eat first, etc. So I was hoping not to make too many large faux pas. I think I did a couple. haha. Oh well, as Sarah always tells me, we get away with a lot since we're white. :)

No comments: