Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The 7th time through the fire

I was actually lonely here today. Oh well, it was inevitable that it would happen. Life here is just so different from my everyday life. More than anything I think it's the unpredictability and complete and continuous discomfort that comes with having everything be "new."

New places, new people, new food, new smells, new place to stay, new tasks, new dreams, new adventures, new fears, new hopes, new passions, new love, new questions, new let-downs, new trust, new relationships, new, new, new...

It's bringing up new reactions in me as well. Some good, and some not so good. The emotional discomfort stretches and squeezes and some type of reaction invariably comes out. Reminds me of the Scripture in Psalms or Proverbs that talks about being purified in the fire 7 times. That always kinda bothered me. Wasn't enduring once through the fire plenty? Why another 6 times. Because stuff continues to come out. That's how I feel here. Missions is not a "new" thing to me at this point (I figured out this is my 10th overseas trip), but every environment and situation plus my life phase are always different enough to continue purifying. The fire isn't fun, but the result is purity. That's my prayer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my friend, you have been through lots of fires (and more will come, I'm sure!), but you ALWAYS come out better and praising our Savior. That's what it's all about. It's for His glory! I'm praying for you lots. Just want you to know.

Is there a specific time I can catch you on the world famous skype? I'll set my alarm to wake up in the middle of the night if I have to. Maybe you need to see my face?! ha! :)
Love you so much and miss you tons!

Anonymous said...

Just a random thought that I'm sure will make you smile... remember when we used to sing along with veggie tales? hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1FGaCNN1aw

Matt Davies said...

Liz, I hope you get this message since it is an old post. BUT, I loved what you said, because in my quiet time yesterday that is just what I was studying, all about GLORY -- and the greek meaning - involving FIRE, and being refined. It would take me too long to write it here, but YES my sweet friend sometimes it does seem to take seven times and somtimes even longer so that our refining equals HIS glory. I love watching you grow in HIM!!!! I love YOU!