Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bittersweetness

The team from Sterling College has already headed back to the US (well they are in transit there right now). It seems like they just got here yesterday - it was quite a whirlwind - and now they are gone. Hard to believe it. It was an incredible time with them. We went on 6 night outreaches into Patong, worked on community projects here at SHE from pulling weeds and clearing overgrowth in the back garden, to caulking windows and helping a lady in the community with her garden and practical needs. We went out probably 6 or more times to prayer walk, and led devotions at SHE in the mornings, while also helping with baking and jewelry-making projects here. We kept them busy...and the feeling was mutual. I was completely and utterly worn-out when they left - the combination of now nearly 3 months on the missions field, with them being the 3rd team I've lead (of energetic college students, no less) - and I have spent much of this weekend resting and "recovering". :)

What's also hard to believe is that I had originally planned to head back to the US with their team. Now that the time for that has come and past, I could not imagine leaving now. There is still so much I want to accomplish here. So much of my time so far has revolved around planning for teams, having teams here, and sorting everything out from teams that left, that I have done little of what I had originally hoped to accomplish. Don't get me wrong - much good is being done here. I'm building fantastic relationships, have gotten to see some girls I've talked to in the bars come to see SHE, and even one so far has come to work here as a result of my meeting her and talking to her. And I've gotten to do some teaching with the women during their morning devotions. They just aren't quite set-up yet for some of the counseling stuff. I'm beginning to think this trip will be preparing the way for that to come later, and is more information gathering when it comes to the actual counseling work. Other ministry opportunities have been abundant and more urgent at the moment, so I am glad to help wherever I can.

That being said, I am planning to try to stay here and learn and help all that I can until early November (as long as I can get my visa extended for that long - fingers crossed and here's praying!), and then meet up with a GI team in India the first part of November, and travel back to the states with them then. I just feel like my time here is not yet over. This is quite a bit longer than I had originally planned to stay, but it just seems right. This all, of course, will come at a bit of a price, so if you would like to sponsor me financially (I know some of you already do - and thank you for that!), it is always greatly appreciated and allows me to fulfill the Great Commission call that some of you are not otherwise able to be apart of at the moment. Financial gifts can be given through Global Infusion: www.globalinfusion.org either online or through the mail.

I just really feel this whole expereince is my "for such a time as this" moment referenced in the book of Esther. Now is the best time for me to be here, and I know that it is completely God-ordained. Keep praying for me for energy, stamina, wisdom and direction while here and for my future steps once November arrives (it seems the Lord is moving me in some different directions than I had originally planned on -as He always does - and I want to make sure I'm obedient). It will be the longest and shortest next 3 months of my life, I'm sure. And bittersweet as I love fulfilling this role, but so much miss all my loved ones back in the US. Even here, I build relationships with teams, and then have to send them away. I'm instituting a new policy where I will pick up people from the airport, but won't take them back to the airport to leave. Think that will work? ;)

Thanks for all your love, prayer and support while I've been away. Please do not let it dwindle now that I have been gone for some time! I need you and your encouraging words, support, and prayers now more than ever! (And for those of you that inquired about sending me packages, you can send those to the address listed on the SHE website: www.shethailand.org.) I look forward to hearing updates about you all as well, and I'll keep adding more pics on facebook too, so keep up with those. Love and miss you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no, no, no....I LOVE and MISS YOU!!!! Ahhhh, so excited about you staying until November. Just know that I BETTER see you in the three short months that you mentioned. :) Maybe I'll just have to get on a plane to tennessee! You are forever in my prayers and I think about you all the time. Love you soooo much and I'm so proud of you and the work that our Lord is doing through you. May His grace and peace surround you, my dear friend.