Thursday, August 20, 2009

Much needed update

It's been a while since my last post, and that has been for good reason. A lot has happened over the last week or so. I'm going to attempt to catch up on some of it now.

Last Thursday I was going around Phuket with one of the Thai girls, same as we had been doing for the last couple of weeks, to talk to local businesses about carrying some of the products we make at SHE in their stores. We had some sample boxes to deliver to some interested places, and as we dropped off the first box, I had to pull out of the business and make a U-turn on a relatively busy road. I looked, didn't see anyone coming, pulled out and was smashed right into my drivers side door by two Thai men on a motorbike. A lot of the next few minutes blurred together or are gone from my memory. I don't remember seeing anything until the glass shattered. I remember checking to see if everyone was ok - they all seemed to be. I remember the pounding pain of my head. I remember that the Thai girl I was with seemed really concerned for me. I remember looking in the rearview mirror to see the blood running down my face. I remember feeling like I was blacking out...
The next thing I remembered was the smell of something like menthol being rubbed under my nose. Slowly my senses were returning, all but my sight. I heard Mark's (director of SHE) voice. I asked him, apparently very calmly, if I was going to be blind for the rest of my life. Only later did we chuckle about that. After a few minutes, my vision started to return. The ambulance was there by then. They couldn't get me out of the drivers side, so they had to move the glass to get me out on the passengers side. They strapped this annoying brace around my neck and put me on a stretcher, rushing me to the ER while starting to clean up the blood now caking all down my face and clothes. Once at the ER, they went to work on locating any damages I sustained. One by one they checked my body parts. Remarkably no pain anywhere other than the wound on my head. They injected my head what felt like a hundred times (really probably more like a dozen) with painful needles to numb the area so they could clean and stitch my wound. Then off to X-rays. Nothing broken. No major problems. Praise the Lord! Before long I was free to go.




I spent the next couple days laying around at SHE with a headache, but not much else wrong with me. I went over the accident in my head, amazed that things weren't worse, as they seemed they should have been. Clearly the Lord's hand was on me protecting me. The Thai girl I was with didn't even have a scratch on her. A few days later the Lord dropped Psalm 91 into my spirit. "He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all of your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone." I know His angels were guarding over me. I know He was there with me. Thank you all so much for your prayers through this experience. Now, only one week later, I've had my stitches removed and there is very little physical evidence left on my body of such an intense collision. Praise the Lord. Only He could do that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing testimony of God's grace and protection over you! Thanks for the update. I love when you update the blog :) Even if I am the only one who comments! Love you

infusemom03 said...

Bless your little heart. I just saw the blog pics....I am so sorry you went thro' this, but happy you are doing better. Heal well - we are always praying for you.

p.s. have to say, love those Thai shoes (pic of you in the wheelchair:)