Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cleveland, sweet Cleveland

I am officially back from my first two wanderings overseas. I actually got back on Wednesday, but came down with a cold or something, so I am just now resurfacing... I had an incredible time in Guatemala during our week there. We were able to assist with some disaster relief for an area in the mountains that had experienced some very serious mudslides. There were at least a dozen found dead in La Union, Guatemala and several people were evacuated to shelters in surrounding areas. Our team was able to purchase and hand out food and personal hygiene products to people who were literally starving to death and had no other assistance. We visited two of those shelters and also traveled up the mountain to a small village to hand out more food and minister the love of Jesus to people. I am once again struck by the awesomeness of God as I travel to other parts of the country and witness the beauty of His creative hand in not only the landscape, but also the diversity of His people. I fell in love with our contact's family while in Guatemala. Pastor Oseas, his wife Jane, and lovely children Kevin, Nathan and Amy stole my affection and my heart. We were able to spend several hours hearing the heart of this precious family over meals and on our several 3 hour or so van rides. Their vision to reach the people of the mountain villages of Guatemala who are starving to death with no way of getting food consistently, and also to go into Honduras and El Salvador was very moving. The Lord is doing powerful things in this area of the country. Please continue to pray for this incredible family as they do God's work on their own in this country and neighboring countries. Pray for resources to reach them so they can continue this vital work. Pray for Global Infusion to be able to continue sending teams to assist them in this task. Pray, pray, pray...

No comments: